MAA played a key role in exposing 1,000 Detroit school students to the many career opportunities in the construction and design industry. A special thanks to City of Detroit Mayor Duggan, Representative Leslie Love and Andy Doctoroff from Governor Snyder’s office for their support and helping kick off this great event.
This annual event exposes students that qualify academically and pledge to be drug-free to a future in the engineering and construction industry.
The expo is not job fair, but an industry driven, hands-on showcase for students that range from middle school to high school.
Over the past seven years, close to 5,000 Detroit students have taken advantage of this signature event which encourages them to excel in math and science in order to help fill a shortage of talent in the fields of engineering and construction.
During the Expo, students were exposed to various inside and outside construction and engineering hands-on demonstrations, including the operation of a mini-excavator and electrical lift truck. In addition, they participated carpentry, electronics, masonry, and many more.
2017 Construction Science Expo Sponsors include:
The Black Caucus Foundation of Michigan
Michigan Department of Transportation
Michigan Science Center
Michigan’s Design and Construction Coalition:
• American Council of Engineering Companies of Michigan
• American Society of Civil Engineers Michigan Section
• Asphalt Pavement Association of Michigan
• International Union of Operating Engineers Local 324
• Michigan Aggregates Association
• Michigan Concrete Association
• Michigan Infrastructure & Transportation Association
• Michigan Laborers-Employers Cooperation & Education Trust Funds
• Cadillac Asphalt, LLC
• Edw. C. Levy Co.
• HNTB, Michigan, Inc.
• Anderson, Eckstein and Westrick, Inc.